Sonam Bajwa recounts her experience with colour-shaming

sonam bajwa colour shaming

Indian Punjabi actor Sonam Bajwa recalled when she faced bullying as a child for her complexion.

In a recent outing with RJ Siddharth Kannan on his digital show, Bajwa was asked if she ever faced colourism in the film industry specifically Punjabi. In the response, she recounted a childhood experience of being bullied not in the industry but by her own relatives.

Watch ARY News live on live.arynews.tv

“When I was growing up as a kid, I was bullied for my skin colour because as a Punjabi, I was not gori chitti (fair) enough. A few of my relatives never even invited me to their house ever. I have never seen their houses while growing up,” Bajwa shared.

She added that things started to change when she grew in her career. “When I did well in my career, they called me to their house all the time; but unfortunately, I lost connection and respect.”

“So this is life everyone respects successful people in industry or society. So yes. People have sidelined me, and that too at an age, where you don’t understand why they were doing this.”

Speaking about Pollywood (Punjabi cinema), Bajwa added, “In the industry, when I was shunned and big and successful celebs were given importance. It did not affect me much, to be honest, as I had seen much worse. I have also experienced that the makers would remove me from a film and not even let me know.”

“So I have been through such times, but it doesn’t affect me much.”

“Ananya Panday, Sara Ali Khan can go to Karan Johar’s house to audition”

It is pertinent to mention here that Sonam Bajwa has carved herself a niche in the Punjabi film industry of India called Pollywood and occasionally works in other regional cinemas as well.

On the work front, Bajwa is currently awaiting the release of her next film ‘Godday Godday Chaa’ slated to release later this month. Meanwhile, she also has the threequel of the Punjabi comedy franchise ‘Carry on Jatta’ in the kitty.



from Lifestyle News - Latest Lifestyle News, Celebrity, Fashion, and Luxury https://ift.tt/FlasQkG

Post a Comment

0 Comments